Having burning sensation in stomach, flatulence and undigested stool. Blood test showed Vitamin B12 is 149 pg/mL. Worried?

Hello sir,
This is in regard with my previous query ( WWW.WWWW.WW where i reported burning sensation in stomach and Flatulence and undigested stool.
You had recommended for Thyroid Blood count and fasting vitamin B12 test. Well the Blood count Thyroid are all normal but Vitamin B12 is 149 pg/mL. I have consulted a Gastro specialist in regards with my problems. He has conducted Endoscopy and biopsy. I am awaiting those results too. I want to know how alarming this is ? Because 149 seems to be very low.
I am little worried about the effects caused by Vit b12 deficiency considering my age. Can you please help me out on this( I am visiting the Gastro this monday with all the reports).

Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 23 hours later
Hello! XXXXXXX Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Will you please upload report of endoscopy and blood count

Low vitamin B12, undigested stool and flatulence may all be due to some malabsorption syndrome like Tropical sprue, terminal ileal disease, gastric atrophy due to pernicious anemia, some worm infestation etc for which your doctor has done endoscopy and taken biopsy. Most of which can be treated. It may also happen in pure vegeterian also

Lets wait for the report of biopsy and meanwhile please upload your endoscopy and other previous report

Keep in touch
Follow-up: Having burning sensation in stomach, flatulence and undigested stool. Blood test showed Vitamin B12 is 149 pg/mL. Worried? 2 days later

I have uploaded all the reports. Let me know your view on this.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 31 minutes later
Hello! XXXXXXX I have gone through all the reports.

Your endoscopy report as well as biopsy is almost normal. So need to worry.

One thing is little bit confusing that inspite of low vitamin B12, blood count report is absolutely normal. However this may be possible. Anyhow since all these are normal it suggest that you may be pure veg or it may be due to some worm infestation.
So I will advise you to retest the levels and get serum cobalamin levels by ELISA which is more sensitive tests for Vitamin B12 levels. If it still comes low, then first deworm yourself and then have injectable methylcobalmin for which you may discuss with your treating doctor.

For burning sensation and flatulence take a Histamine 2 receptor antagonist with a prokinetic agent like domperidone and tablet gasex by Himalaya company

Hope I have answered your query. Keep in touch