Having boil in arm below elbow. Having swelling. Prescribed AMOX TR- CLV. Could it be MRSA?

My husband has what looks like a boil on his arm below his elbow, its now been a week and his arm from elbow down is really swollen. Seen the doctor yesterday and he was given AMOX TR- CLV, this morning his arm looks worse and is extremely painful. A friend of mine and my brother had MRSA. I dont want to wait 5-7 days for results, with the possibility that it might be MRSA is it best to go to the ER?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I want to provide you with some information and recommendations.

For simple skin infections the antibiotic which he received usually works very well. i am very concerned however that he seems to not be responding as readily as we might expect.

Regarding these types of infections I would recommend that you proceed to the emergency room for evaluation. Not only could this be MRSA There is also a possibility that it is a completely different bacteria which might need More than one type of antibiotic to help completely resolved symptoms. Occasionally intravenous infusions of antibiotics are needed for serious infections.

Thank you for reaching out. Again I recommend that you go to the emergency room and have him evaluated. Wow emergency room visits are time-consuming and Sometimes stressful, I really think it is a worthwhile move at this point.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let us know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga