Have swollen neck glands. Diagnosed with lyme disease. On antibiotic. What is causing this?

I'm 49 yrs old and for the last 2 years I've had a swollen neck gland under the right side of jaw. It hurts constantly and more when i eat something spicey or drink wine. I had my #30 molar extracted in April 2011 and was then diagnosed with Lyme disease in XXXXXXX 2012. Since, I have been on 3 courses of antibiotics (Doxy and others, in combination.) I had a MRI done and found that I had bulging discs from C3-C7, including a couple of bone spurs. My jaw feels like I have TMJ and the gland is still very swollen. Recently I was told my thyroid was below range and started treatment. What is causing the neck gland to stay swollen? As you can see, there are a whole host of elements that play into the gland but no doctor has a definite answer. I'm at my wits end with the pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later

I would strongly suspect a submandibular salivary gland calculus in you as you have swelling in the neck region, it hurts more when you eat something spicy or drink wine.

It can be a thyroid swelling or Goitre too. The third possibility is an enlarged lymph node in the neck due to possible.

An ultrasound of the swollen area in the neck and an assisted biopsy or FNAC can help us in concluding on the cause for it.

I do not think Lyme disease is the cause for it.

Please do write back for further queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Have swollen neck glands. Diagnosed with lyme disease. On antibiotic. What is causing this? 31 hours later
I do not understand the third possibility, due to what exactly? Also, can my neck damage play a part of why this gland is always swollen? It is on the same side of my neck injuries. I'm going to pain management next week for my neck problems. The other thing to mention is that I was suspected of having Lupus 2 yrs ago too and was treated with Plaquenil for 15 months until my XXXXXXX came back negative. I had a huge throat sore adjacent to this gland for 6 months until it went away when I started my doxy treatment for the lyme but the gland remain swollen. My new Rhuemie took me off the Plaquenil at that time and ask that we continue to monitor me. last question, could this be some sort of Neuralgia? I know about nerve pain, but would the actual gland swell with neuralgia?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The third possibility that I mentioned is enlarged lymph node in the neck. It can be due to the molar tooth extraction, as a part of inflammatory process in Lyme's disease or due to the infection from the sore throat.

Your MRI suggests bulging discs from C3 to C7, with a couple of bone spurs. I do not think this is the cause for the neck swelling.

Neuralgia does not present as a neck swelling, it presents more like pins and needles sensation in the arms and legs. Also, the gland will not be swollen due to neuralgia.

Hope this helps. Please do write back in case you have further queries to ask.

Follow-up: Have swollen neck glands. Diagnosed with lyme disease. On antibiotic. What is causing this? 14 hours later
Since this gland has been a real issue for me, can this lymph node be removed? It's really debilitating me for 2yrs. Also, what type of doctor should I see on this? Right now I'm with a great rheumatologist, however, he wants to monitor it. I don't have anymore time being more sick.would this gland removal negatively impact my health? I can't even eat at times. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the lymph node can be removed. You should see a General Surgeon for this who can conclude on the cause and decide upon its removal by excision.

At this age, the gland removal would not have a negative impact on your health.

Please confirm the cause of it, an excision biopsy planned by the general surgeon followed by a histopathological examination of the excised gland, will help you greatly in alleviating your symptoms.

Hope this helps. If you have no further queries, you may close the discussion and write a review.

Get well soon.