What causes mild tenderness in the abdomen after treating abdominal hernia?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
i had a abdominal hernia surgically repaired with a fiberglass patch5 years ago. I now have tenderness in the general area of my surgery. I don't have any bumps or lumps in this area. Just a mild tenderness that doesn't get worse if I palpitate this area. I am active still working with moderation. How can I tell if my hernia repair is failing?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I don't think so

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I don't think this is failing. only if there is bulge again which protrude with cough, then this could be hernia recurrence. in your case,this may be neuralgia.there is no some specific treatment for it,you should take nonsteroid painkillers and rest. If pain persist, you should do ultrasound of inguinal area. Wish you good health. Regards