Have pain in left arm. No lumps or swelling. On medication for hear. Overweight. Possible reason of the pain?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi I am a 54 year old woman and for the last 2 days underneath my left arm is very painful, I cant feel any lumps of
r swelling but I cant put my arm down because it is painful
I work 420kms from town so this is why Im asking
It started 2 days ago but it is getting worse slowly. I have to have a angia gram?? but the hospital hasnt contacted me for one yet. so I am on pills that are normally fro Heart Attack victiams but i havnt had one. I am over weight but i do not have a cholestro problem as I get bloods done every 12 months. I have maid a appointment with my doctor in XXXXXXX but I wont be home until Friday Mosquitos are really bad at the camp and every now and then in the middle of my back is like someone has a knife in there. I have noticed a few rashes coming up to
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

Pain in left arm does not always indicate that there is a heart attack. There can be other causes like muscular pain or inflammation of the lymph nodes. In case if you have any chest discomfort, chest pain etc, it would be safe to get an ECG done. Angiogram is not a necessity now.

You need medical examination and investigations to reach a diagnosis. You can take pain killers like Ibuprofen one tablet, twice a day after meals, for relief in pain till the time you get yourself examined medically.

For rashes due to mosquito bite, you can apply locally a soothing cream or can take antihistamine tablets. Do use a mosquito repellent cream. With your history of severe stabbing pain behind, and rashes, another possibility is of Herpes zoster. This can be confirmed only after a proper examination. If the pain is gradually increasing, you will have to consult your doctor before Friday.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Have pain in left arm. No lumps or swelling. On medication for hear. Overweight. Possible reason of the pain? 1 hour later
The pain is in my armpit not arm and it hurts XXXXXXX in there, the specilist wants me to have a Angiogram because he believes there is restriction. He was going to do it the following week but that was 3 months ago. I dont know if the rash is from mozzies and I have a zapper coming. I was booked in for other reasons at the docs on friday but will get this sussed out then.
We dont live in a town so impossible to get them tablets that you suggested
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for your response.

If your doctor thinks that angiogram is needed, then go for it. I am sure, he would be the right person to decide whether an angiogram is required or not, as he would have examined you.

Regarding the pain in the armpits, it is necessary to be examined by a doctor to see if there is any enlarged and tender lymph nodes in the axillary region (armpit). I also suggest that you should get a mammography done.

If you are not able to get the pain killer mentioned(Ibuprofen), in your area then you can take Paracetamol (Tylenol), as it also helps in relieving pain to some extent and is easily available. Detailed medical examination is needed to reach a conclusion, so please get yourself examined and investigated.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any more doubts, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.