Have pacemaker. Use of electric infrared heater safe?

My wife has a pacemaker. Can we safely use and electric infrared heater?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Regarding the use of a infrared heater in the setting of a patient who has a pacemaker this is regarded as generally very safe. The heater it self is not XXXXXXX to use in the proximity of the pacemaker. More worrisome devices in the setting of a pacemaker would be those which admit a significant magnetic field. In your case things are quite safe and you can go ahead and use this heater very easily.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert