Have moderate cervical degenerative disc disease. Started feeling tired and unbalanced after taking gabapentin. Is this normal?

I was diagnosed with having moderate cervical degenerative disc disease which my symptoms are left arm pain and random tingling/numbness of the left arm and I have started the Gabapentin 300mg last night and this morning I was unable to go to work, I feel as though I am drunk (I do not drink any alcohol) I'm feel off balance. I took the first pill at 7pm and another at 3am and again this morning at 11am. I also stayed in bed after taking them and finally dragged myself out of bed at 1pm this afternoon. I am still feeling a bit off balance, tired and I feel as though my body is "desensitized". Could this be a side effect of the drug? Is this normal when first starting this med? Or is this something I should call my doctor about? Well it has now been 24 hours since I started taking this med and Now I am nauseous, throwing up and have an upset stomach. What I am going through now seems to be worse than the pain I am dealing with and through all this my arm still hurts. Will this get better as I get used to the meds or can I stop taking them until I can talk to my doctor in two days from now?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

I have gone through the history provided by you. The acute symptoms which have come after starting Gabapentin seem to be really annoying to you.

Considering your history, they are likely due to gabapentin.

First thing you can do is to stop this drug after talking to your treating doctor and wait for another 12-24 hours. They should decrease in intensity. In case, either they increase or do not decrease in intensity, consult your doctor on urgent basis.

In case of improvement, you should see your doctor two days later to start on alternative medication.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck