Have itchy red rashes on penis. Tested positive for HSV1. What are the risks?

Dear Sir

I have felt iching and some red rash on front of my penis, i use the cream tinovate-m then it was fine but after few days comes again then recently I tested HSV and I'm shocked to see the following result.
HSV1-IGG=2.96, HSV2-IGG=0.32, HSV1 -IGM=0.65 and HSV2-IGM=0.32.
It is clearly shown that am positive HSV1 as IGG 2.96, I never had any sexual relation except my wife and i granteed she had also never do this except me, than how its came to me? Should i check up to my wife also? we have a girl of 5 years should be check up to her also? and my wife is pregnant is there is chance to coming baby? Pls advice what we should do and what is our future life. Is the HSV is more dangers than AIDS. Also i have tested western-blot but it is negative.
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 18 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
A rash on glans penis can occur as a result of fungal, bacterial or viral infection as well as due to some allergy.
Tenovate is the most potent topical steroid and should not be ever used on glans.
Herpes Simples virus (HSV) is of two types: I and II. Usually HSV I affects lips causing herpes labialis while HSV II affects genitals causing genital herpes.
In herpes tiny fluid filled blisters develop which break open to form erosion. This is a recurrent infection but it does not affect an individual’s life. Given that your IgG titres are high and the IgM titres are normal, it shows that there was an infection in the past.
Also, given the fact that you are positive for this does not mean the rash you had is due to herpes. Generally, herpes subsides with oral and topical acyclovir. Also burning is common with herpes.
Don’t worry. If we test a large population, a large number of people will have tests positive for IgG for HSV I .
You need not panic and you should visit a dermatologist for an examination.
As far as this going to your wife or child are concerned, the infection is transmitted when you do have the active infection. Otherwise its not transmitted. As far as this going to your unborn child is concerned, we will need to do the tests on your wife to find out her status. Only if she has positive IgM levels, we need to be concerned.
Even if it turns to be herpes there is nothing to worry as it is no where comparable to HIV/AIDS
Hope that helps
Follow-up: Have itchy red rashes on penis. Tested positive for HSV1. What are the risks? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot sir, i was scared and i say to myself that "TUM TO GAYE KAM SE"
YOUR WORDS HAVE ALIVE ME ONCE AGAIN. I will let you know once i get the report of my wife for unborn child concern . ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 22 hours later
you are always welcome at XXXXXXX