Having herpes simplex 2. Did not have sex. Touched vagina and then penis with hand. STD tests are negative. Felling itchy. Advise?

Question
I would like an opinion concerning STD's specifically HSV-2. My encounter was 13 weeks ago. There was no oral, vaginal or anal sex. The only direct contact was my hand touching her vagina and later touching myself (penis).
After 5 weeks of the encounter I had a complete panel of STD tests including type specific for HSV-1 and HSV-2. All results were negative. I still worry about this encounter. I have been free of physical signs. I have been constantly feeling itchy everywhere, my arms, my hands, my legs etc. Is this just a nervous reaction or ?. I can't stop thinking about my lack of control 13 weeks ago. your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not likely to have herpes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned regarding contracting any STDs.

There is a window period for these tests. This is the time it would take for the tests to definitely detect whether an infection is present.

If a test is done prior to the particular window period, it is possible it would be falsely negative.

The window period for herpes blood test is 4 to 6 weeks , some persons repeat after 3 months to make sure that the initial result is accurate.

Your test at 5 weeks is at a good time after contact, just within the window period.
Since it was done at this time, the result is likely accurate and you are not herpes positive.

If you want to be sure, since you are definitely pass the window period now , you can repeat the test.

Herpes would not cause generalised itching, the symptom that you are experiencing. It would cause lesions in the genital or in the mouth (herpes 1 associated with cold sores).

You may want to speak to your doctor to determine the cause of the generalised itching.
Possible causes include: eczema, contact dermatitis, liver disease, drug eruption, folliculitis, erythema multiforme, insect bites, keratosis pilaris, scabies, chicken pox, psoriasis.

Herpes 1 and 2 are not associated with this symptom.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions