Have had blood in stool. Bright red, does not hurt, is hard. Should be worrying? How to prevent it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had blood in my stool every once in a while for the last 10 yrs I am 28. It is a bright red blood, does not hurt when i pass it htough. Today when it happened my stool was pretty hard right away. It happened like 2 months ago as well but had not happened in a year or so before that. Is there anything too worry about? What should I do too prevent this from happening?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The most likely cause of the symptoms what you are experiencing is related to hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation as well with bowel movements.

The best treatment for this usually includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone service to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

Along with this few lifestyle measures need to be incorporated.

1) A Normal American diet lacks right amount of fibre. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Be a smart grocer, choose foods which have fibre more than 25gm in the nutrition information label

2) You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3) Application of local anesthetic gels and vaso constrictors like Preparation H are also useful.

4) However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.