Have fungus in groin and scrotum. Ointment helped but it occur again. Permanent solution?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
how to permanently avoid fungus in groin,scortum. i use ointment when it is coming , then it stopped for few days, and again the fungus started coming and itching starTs. how to permanently stop it. i need a permanent soludtion. please advise it
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Prevent all the conditions of moistness & humidity

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

As per your query you are continuously suffering from fungal infection at groin and scrotum region. It appears that this is a recurrent type of fungal infection which is occurring again and again.

Fungal infections are common type of infections which can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are more prone for sweating or moist areas (as in your case). More specifically these are related to the hygiene and environmental factors along with certain systemic complaints as in hormonal problem such as diabetes.

Due to hot and humid climate or due to tight and synthetic clothing,it leads to growth of fungus at any part of the body. Additionally persons who have bit excess of sugar are also prone for the growth of fungus.

As per your problem you have red itchy rash at groin and scrotum region. Most commonly this type of fungal infection is known as "Tinea cruris". These are initially reddish- brown small areas to begin with and then becomes large geographical areas.

For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below:

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

-You can apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Sertaconazole" or "Amorolfine " and take anti-fungal tablets according to medical advise.

-You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine or levocetrizine two times a day under medial advise if ther is moderate to severe itching is present.

-Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem.

- You can use any good antiperspirant powders daily to avoid future infection.

- Reduce your weight if it is on higher side.

You can follow the above regimen for 3-4 days and if benefit occurs can follow the same for next 10-14 days. If the rash still persists then can go for blood investigation to check for your sugar status.

Fungus is never a permanent problem and so is the treatment too!!
You need to check all the above conditions of moistness or humidity to prevent fungal growth.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: Have fungus in groin and scrotum. Ointment helped but it occur again. Permanent solution? 19 hours later
Dear Doctor,

I hav got a following query from your reply

(i) How many times per day i need to use the anti-fungal cream suggested by you.

(ii) during the days fungus affected in scortum, can i hav sex with my spuose or not?

(iii) will the fungus spread to my spouse if i hav sex with her?

(iv) will the fungus not reduce if i dont wash my scortum and pennis after having sex? normmay i dont wash and i dont apply cream after having intercourse with her.

please advise.

Adding to the above,

(v) how long i can sit continuously bcoz u said i need to avoid sitting long hours continuously.

(vi) can i go outside that is to office for some days until the fungus fully vanished?
if i not wear underwear, will it be the problem again??

please advise

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly see the suggestions below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum. Kindly see the suggestions below:

It can be used for two times day in a very thin layer.

Yes you can have sex with your spouse. But your spouse should also maintain god hygiene and should wash her local part after the contact.

Though it can spread to her but if she is maintain a good hygiene then the chances are less likely.

The main part in the prevention and cure of fungus is hygiene and dryness of the area. So it will be better for both the partners to wash the area after intercourse.

You can sit for 1 hour and then give a break of 5 minutes. If you are wearing lose cotton clothes then it will be a beneficial point to you.

You can go to office and do your regular activity. There is no problem in all these outdoor works. Wearing or not wearing underwear does not make much change. The most important part is let there be least of moisture at the local site. So it will be better if you change undergarments two times a day

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)