Have cyst on ovary and polyp on the lining of uterus. Will it be safe to wait few days for surgery?

Mar 2016

I have a POLYP on the lining of my uterus,and also a cyst on my ovary. I went to visit a Dr. however I was told that the cyst is nothing to worry about,and the Polyp would have to be removed surgically. I was also told that the Polyp is 2.6 CM and cannot be removed until May 2013 due to only available appointment.
Is it really safe to wait until May 2013? Would this cause further complications?
I have been experiencing irregular bleeding due to the POLYP, and experiencing cold chills throughout the day and night.
My Dr. has recommened that I put in a Mirena IUD into my uterus to balance the hormone and regulate the periods. I have heard many horror stories from woman that have used the Mirena IUD. They have alot of side affects. Would you recommend this device?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX platform. I am trying to give answer to your queries.

1) If you are not experiencing too much bleeding, then you can wait till May 2013 to get operated surgically.

Polyps are usually benign and do not cause as such complication. About 0.5% polyp contains adenocarcinoma cells though it is very rare. Recurrence rate of endometrial polyp is quite frequent.

2) It is quite common to face irregular bleeding due to presence of polyp.

Experiencing cold & chills throughout the day and night is mostly associated with hormonal fluctuation as you are in the peri-menopausal age group. Anemia also can cause the same.

Treatment for endometrial polyp is always surgical. It can be removed by Dilatation & Curettage with or without hysteroscopy. Histopathological examination of the polyp is also needed.

Until then, irregular bleeding can be treated with progesterone pill or Mirena IUD in this stage.

IUD itself has some side effects like irregular spotting initially, abdominal cramp, infection etc. You can take progesterone pill alternatively after consultation with your doctor to avoid such side effects.

Take healthy diet with iron supplements, drink more water/ fluid and eat more green vegetables & fruits and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have cyst on ovary and polyp on the lining of uterus. Will it be safe to wait few days for surgery? 38 minutes later
Dr. Soumen,
Thank You so much for taking the time to review my question. I did have one question.

What is Histopathological examination of the polyp?
and my uterus is backwards since birth. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 32 minutes later

Thanks for follow up queries. I am happy to help you.

1) Histopathological examination of the polyp is needed to confirm/ exclude any type of cancerous changes. Most of the polyps are benign and in rare case (0.5%), it is found to be adenocarcinoma. In such case, further investigation & treatment may be needed.

2) Backward uterus is called retroverted or/ and retroflexed uterus in medical term. Most common cause is genetic and it is quite normal in your case. It is seen 1 in 3 or 5 women (depends on ethnicity).

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy. Don't be worried.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have cyst on ovary and polyp on the lining of uterus. Will it be safe to wait few days for surgery? 18 minutes later
Yes. Thank You very much Doctor for your time and have a pleasant evening.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later

You are most welcome in our XXXXXXX platform.

Take care yourself and follow suggestive measures for healthy life style.

Dr Soumen