Diagnosed with LA Grade B esophagitis and gastritis. Prescribed Dexilant. Have upper back pain. Could have developed esophageal cancer?

I had an EGD in October 2012. It diagnosed LA Grade B esophagitis and gastritis. I was prescribed Dexilant - 60 mg. I took this off and on initially, but have taken it everyday for past 3-4 months.

In the past several months, I have had upper back pain which appears to go through to my chest and have more recently noticed "feeling" food as I swallow in what appears to be my upper -mid esophagus area with a slight discomfort.

Could I have developed esophageal cancer within the past 10 months (either type - squamous cell or adenocarcinoma)?

Could pre-cancerous condition have been missed on original EGD?

I am a pretty decent social drinker on the weekends. And have smoked a cigar occasionally.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 hours later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Feeling of food sticking while swallowing may be due to either stricture formation, ulceration or may be globus pharygeous that is feeling of something sticking in oesophagus which do happen in GERD

Usually with the findings of GERD and gastritis persisting for even 10 months don't lead to cancer. Moreover there may be loss of apetite, weight loss, and progressive dysphagia with both semisolid food and liquids to. Moreover the symptoms you are having may be either simply due to GERD or it may be among the three I have mentioned above.

However to confirm you may get a repeat endoscopy examination.

Meanwhile continue with dexilant, also take a prokinetic agent like domperidone along with dexilant. Some other advise for relief os symptoms in GERD:

1.Avoid fatty meals
2. Don't lie down soon after meals for at least half hour
3.Take small and frequent meals, instead of full meals at a time
4. wear loose clothes
5. If you are overweight or obese do weight reduction with dieting and exercise

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon