Have cold. Getting fluttering sensation, shortness of breath and dizziness. Concerned for pneumonia?

Dec 2012

suffered from heavy cold for 6 weeks. past 2 weeks noticed chest disturbance when eating fluttering effect, extremely painful nasal passages now dizzy, weary and losing the plot mentally and short of breath sensation. dry very painful cough, ears and throat so sore. my b/p 143/75 at present is higher, usually around 125/70 something like that. gp put me on augmention x3 per day 500/125 tabs. i had double pneumonia 2 winters ago and rather concerned. meant to mention palpitations are becoming ever frequently.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 16 minutes later

I can see your concern and I understand that the situation of recurrent pneumonia is rather troubling you.
Per your description of symptom you are still having a chest infection most likely pneumonia reason why your GP placed you on augmentin ( normal recommended dosage for pneumonia should go up to 3 grams amoxicillin + 750 clavulinic acid daily for 10 days).
Recurrent pneumonia should be investigated a little further i.e by checking if there are no underlying diseases condition like an autoimmune diseases or chronic viral infection etc which could predispose you to the pneumonia. Investigate thoroughly into your home and immediate surroundings to find out if they are no predisposing factors around that could make you have this. Also important to rule out atypical pneumonia by running a sputum test + culture.
I suggest you continue the augmentin as prescribed then may add antihistamine for the cold + congestion, steroid nasal sprays and mucolytics to handle the cough symptoms. Your high BP could be as a result of the infection, so you need not worry. Your pulse might be slightly or very increased, this also due to infection. Those are cardiorespiratory compensatory mechanisms of the body in the presence of an infection.
Complete the course of antibiotics and if no improvement, I suggest you look for the closest pneumologist to be better handle your situation ones and again.

Wish you the best and hope this was helpful
If do not have any further queries, please do take some time to accept my answer.
Wishing you a better health
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Have cold. Getting fluttering sensation, shortness of breath and dizziness. Concerned for pneumonia? 25 minutes later
i have exercised all through the flu could this have affected the heart muscle at all ?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 7 minutes later

Exercise raises heart rate, blood pressure, increases respiratory rate etc (tenses/excites the heart muscles which results to cardiopulmonary response) and infection in such circumstance will only enhance the natural physiologic process. I do not thing you should be worried about your heart based on your thoughts or symptoms. As soon as your infection clears off, you will be normal again. If you still have abnormal hemodynamic signs after a couple of days after infection is gone, please do consider visiting a cardiologist.

Hope this was helpful and let me know if you got any further worries.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Have cold. Getting fluttering sensation, shortness of breath and dizziness. Concerned for pneumonia? 24 minutes later
Hello: thank you for your replies. could you advise me if a lung x-ray will confirm an infection, which I did have taken on monday results not thru until next week - hwoever my gp said there was no point in doing a blood test which i did think could help confirm an infection (in the white blood cells etc). many thanks again
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 11 minutes later

X-ray can show signs of lung infiltrates due to infection, but absence is not equal to no chest infection. Could be at the early stage of the infection, so x-ray could still be normal. Blood tests are more or less necessary (just as confirmation). Chest infection could be clinically determined.

Hope this helps too
Dr Nsah