Have chondromalacia pattela. Prescribed Naproxen. Is medicine dosage okay?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello! My 15year old son was recently diagnosed with chondromalacia pattela and prescribed a twice daily dose of 500 mg of Naproxen . The doctor said its associated with growth also and it'd disappear when he reaches adulthood, around 22years old. PT didn't seem to work. Is this dose ok? Any other recommendation? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Chondromalacia patella is usually associated with pain during motion. Since your son is active in all outdoor activities, sudden and frequent movement can precipitate pain in the knee joints. The best way is to avoid the painful activities.
The pain killer Naproxen that has been prescribed by his orthopedician is appropriate and adequate to take care of the inflammation.
Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for proper treatment. Quad sets are done by contraction the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day. He can do the required exercises under the care of an expert physiotherapist.
Get his running shoes examined for proper biomechanical fit.
Heat application and use of knee brace is advised for proper knee support at the time of exercise.
Avoid such activities as squatting, kneeling, heavy lifting, climbing, etc.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have chondromalacia pattela. Prescribed Naproxen. Is medicine dosage okay? 1 hour later
Thank you for your help. But If he takes naproxen regularly and is pain free, could he 'mask' a more serious problem later? I'm concerned about the long term impact and the risks of developing serious injuries. The doctor we saw guaranteed us he would be fine once he stopped growing. I'm not convinced. Your thoughts? Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Taking naproxen will decrease the pain and inflammation. This is not likely to mask any serious problems later.
If he is careful enough and restricts the movements causing pain and uses a brace, then any long term damage is not likely. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.