Ask a Urologist   »  

Have bladder infection caused by bacteria which is difficult to kill. Treatment?

I have a bladder infection. My Dr. said it was caused by 2 bacteria: E coli and another one that I cannot remember. The second bacteria he said was difficult to kill. What could that bacteria be?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibilities: ESBL; MRSA; VRE or MBL Bacteria

Detailed Answer:
HI there

Certain variants of bacteria produce enzymes which can inactivate the commonly used antibiotics. These bacteria are often sensitive to only 1 or 2 powerful antibiotics.

The most common type is known as ESBL bacteria which produce enzyme known as beta lactamase.
There are other variants as well such as MRSA (methicillin resistant); VRE (vancomycin resistant) and MBL bacteria.

The treatment for such infections usually involves an extended therapy (10-21 days) of the appropriate antibiotic which may have to be administered intravenously.

Hope this was helpful.
Good luck.