Hard sore blood filled blister on the toe. Can I use neosporin?

After pulling skin from the cuticle of my toe I have a hard/sore blister (filled with blood I think) that has formed outside of the cuticle. Part seems to be attached to the cuticle. There is the slight redness along the side of the toe - but nothing too alarming. What is alarming is this 'blood blister' - it just sits there and hurts to the touch. If I treat it by soaking and neosporin will it eventually go away? Toenail and the rest of my toe are fine. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It seems that the blister filled with blood is secondarily infected, which explains why the tense fluid filled lesion is also paining.
An oral antibiotic will prevent infection to spread and control the symptoms. Since this is a prescription drug, you will need to see your anti-inflammatory drug like tylenol, will help in controlling pain and inflammation. You can take tablet Tylenol 1 tablet upto 4 times daily.
The blister has to burst at some point of time and topical application of neosporin will help in preventing infection from outside. Also, it should be continued till the time new skin formation occurs at the site.

Dr.Rohit Batra