Had unprotected sex during period. Should I take plan B? Any chances of pregnancy?

Question
My girlfriend was in second day of her periods when we had unprotected sex. I did not ejaculate inside her. Is there a chance of pregnancy?
Should she take Plan B? Will there be any side effects. in 6-7 hours it will be 72 hours since we had sex.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 17 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

If your girlfriend has regular cycles, and you had intercourse on the second day following the start of her period AND you did not ejaculate inside the vagina, then there is no chance of pregnancy.

Counting the first day of her period as day #1, most women ovulate on day#14. You were no where near that point hin her cycle. Also, you must ejaculate in the vagina for conception to occur.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have followup questions.

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex during period. Should I take plan B? Any chances of pregnancy? 10 minutes later
She has PCOS...so she is taking Ginette 35..then would that change anything in her cycle?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Given that:

1. It was day #2 of her cycle
2. You did not ejaculate
3. She is on birth control pills

Then the chance of pregnancy is zero.

Please remember to give feedback!

Follow-up: Had unprotected sex during period. Should I take plan B? Any chances of pregnancy? 8 minutes later
Thanks a lot for the help.

I just have one last question... Can pre-cum cause pregnancy in these circumstances?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Let's say that there was even the smallest amount of ejaculate. Given the timing in her cycle and the fact that she is on birth control make the chance of pregnancy still very close to zero. So if a patient came to me with a similar concern, I would probably not have her take Plan-B, but if it makes her that much more certain, then it would probably be of no harm. This is her call.

Good luck!