Had taken methadone. Prescribed suboxone for detoxing. How long should I take it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
hello, I am detoxing from 20 mgs of methadone. my doctor gave me suboxone to help but I keep getting varied answers on how long I should wait to take it. my last dose was yesterday at 1:30pm
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Hello
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Methadone is an opioid drug. It causes both physical and psychological dependence. So in cases of its detoxification any replacement drug is advised. Suboxone consists of Buprenorphin and Naltrexone. It is easy to taper from Suboxone than Methadone.
Withdrawal symptoms usually begin with in 12-24 hours of last dose. Some doctors advise Suboxone when ever withdrawal symptoms begin, other advise to take it from day one. I would advise you to wait for symptoms like restlessness, craving, irritability, lacrimation, yawning etc symptoms. When the symptoms appear take the medicine as your doctor prescribed. Wait for some more time to take medicine.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again in follow up.

Thanks
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD

Follow-up: Had taken methadone. Prescribed suboxone for detoxing. How long should I take it? 11 minutes later
thank you for your response. I would also like to know if I should taper down from 20mg of methadone to zero before I start my withdrawal process and suboxone treatment. The general consensus from people I've spoken to that have gone through the process suggest tapering off of it completely. It's not as bad a withdrawal and I can wait less time to start the suboxone. If you could clear that up also id appreciate it. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Hello again

I would advise you to stop methadone completely. Decreasing dose of methadone and taking Suboxone will not serve the purpose, instead it will make detoxification difficult. So stop methadone completely, Suboxone will help in withdrawal symptoms and will help in preventing relapse. Yes Suboxone can be started in 24-48 hour time period.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more queries then you can ask again in follow up. If you are satisfied with answer please rate.

Thanks
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD