Had oral surgery today and the gauze is stuck in wound. Bleeds if tried to pull out. Painful. Should I visit the doctor?

I just had oral surgery today and the gauze is stuck in the wound. The doctor said that the wound was too small to need stitches. Every time I try to pull it out it bleeds a lot and is extremely painful. The doctor is now closed. Should I go to the hospital and have them look at it or should I hope it works it's way out eventually?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no worries, leave gauze, use pain killers for now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I really do not think it is that urgent for you to go to the hospital now. The doctor must have appreciated with specific reasons, and from experience to think it does not need stitches. Oral wounds in general heal well usually.

I do not think you need to pull out the guaze on your own. This should be done, at least , by your doctor. For now, I suggest you get drugs to control the pain. Analgesics like Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen, could be taken now in order to calm the pain.

I do think with time, the inflammation should decrease and the pain reduced also automatically or on its own. You will simply need to wait for your normal appointment for check up.

For now, do not pull the gauze, take Acetaminophen and Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs to control the pain. You should consult the doctor in case you bleed seriously of pain persists and is intense even after taking drugs for pain control. You need not worry for oral wounds have a very excellent healing capacity. For now, be calm.

Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific worries. I will glad to respond.

Bain LE, MD

Follow-up: Had oral surgery today and the gauze is stuck in wound. Bleeds if tried to pull out. Painful. Should I visit the doctor? 7 hours later
Thank you so much for you The gauze actually finally came out.

Another concern I have now is that it is still bleeding pretty badly and the procedure was over 14 hours ago and its 3am and I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping because of the bleeding and because I'm so hungry because I haven't eaten in over 24 hours. I also was prescribed Percocet 5-325 TAB. I am always worried about taking these drugs because of how addictive they can be and also I'm always afraid of taking too much (especially on an empty stomach). The pain has been bad enough though for me to overlook that this time. I want to make sure I'm not taking too many. I took two pills at 4pm, 1 at 10pm and I just took another now at 3am. Is this ok and if so how much is too much?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Calm, too early too worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is true when Percocet is taken for a long time it can lead to dependence. But in your case, taken Percocet for up to two weeks cannot actually cause dependence. You need to have pain relief, and you can take up to 6 tablets of the drug daily without any worries. It is clear that within a few days, you should be receiving relief.

Mouth receiving is accompanied generally with a slightly greater bleeding. It s true it could be worrying for someone who is not used to such surgery. I suggest you be patient for sometime. This however does not cancel the fact that you should consult your doctor in case the bleeding becomes really too severe.

Feel free asking further questions in case you got other concerns. Be calm for now and kind regards. Bain LE, MD