Grass allergy, MRSA, red lesion, pimple. Concerned?

I would like an idea how concerned I should be about the health of my family and myself. ... A man that I know has been coming over with some nasty looking sores. A little larger around than a quarter and raised. He and his brother insist that these have always been caused by a grass allergy. ... Last week, this man was in the hospital for several days. His brother said that he has something called a Risin(?) ... Somebody hinted to me that they think he really has something contagious called a MRSA. ... Also, these last few days my 8 year old has had 2 large red areas on her back. One with 1 small white pimple looking thing in it. The other with 2 small white pimple looking things. She said they itched, but I put some cream on them and she said they feel better now.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

MRSA is really a contagious disease but it needs physical contact to spread. Do you think that this man who has this disease touched your kid.

The while pimple looking thing could possibly be a furuncle caused by any bacterial organism commonly Staphylococcal aureus. You can apply over the counter antibiotic creams which contain Framycetin or Muprirocin over them three times a day for two days. If she has raised temperature she needs oral antibiotics also.

Personal Hygiene is much more important to prevent recurrence of these. So help your daughter practice it. Cut short the nails, frequent washing of hands with sanitizer. Do not let her touch nostrils or perianal area, she should wash her hands with soap / sanitizer if she puts her fingers in the mouth. These are the areas that colonize this type of bacteria.

Try to post the picture to me at YYYY@YYYY . Subject ATTN Dr. Mazumdar. Please do not forget to post your reply after sending the picture.

Hope this helps.