Got knee injury, red rashes appeared on knee. Hurts to touch. Any thoughts?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 8-year-old daughter woke up this morning and said her knee hurt because she bumped it. But during the day it really started to look more like a spreading flat rash--it feels hot to the touch. I don't remember her injuring herself yesterday. She says it hurts to touch it. I am just giving her Tylenol. Any thoughts?The scab in the middle of the rash in the photo is unrelated--that has been there for a while.

Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome o XXXXXXX

I have two questions. .

Is the rash itchy?
Is there fever?

The possibilities are

1- hematoma.- this can be painful and warm and can follow an injury(her bump)

2- skin inflammation starting stage can be diffuse like this and warm

3- if it is itchy it can be allergic rash.

4 unrelated conditions like erythma nodosum which are more localised

You are correct in giving her tylenol for pain and may be you can give her some benadryl in the night and watch for 24 hrs-if it does not improve or spreads you can get a doctor to see her.
Good luck

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Got knee injury, red rashes appeared on knee. Hurts to touch. Any thoughts? 15 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Uma.

She possibly had fever today. She was unusually tired this afternoon. No itchiness. The Tylenol definitely shrunk the rash in diameter. I was somewhat alarmed because I have two children (12 and 8) and have never seen this before. She seemed very, very sensitive to is and it seemed to come out of nowhere. She did ride a pony at a fair yesterday and I even wondered if she had been bitten by an insect on the pony or contracted something else from it.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 58 minutes later
Yes it could be an insect bite .
If you have some antihistamine Syrup you can give her .
Tylenol can not shrink the rash ---it only takes care of pain and fever,
May be it is subsiding by itself!
As I said earlier,you can wait for 24 hrs and if no improvement show her in ER .

God bless
Dr Uma