Got blood test for hbsag and nucleic acid test for hbv. What does it mean?

Question
Hi doc.i get my blood test,the results are....1 hbsag. Negative.....2 hbcab. Detected. 3 hbsab 2.nucleic acid test for hbv negative.what does it mean.thanx
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You have negative HBsAg and negative nucleic acid test ( XXXXXXX ) .

The HBcAb is an antibody that is part of the virus- it does not provide protection. A "positive" or "reactive" HBcAb (or anti-HBc) test result indicates a past or present infection, but it could also be a false positive. Its appearance with the protective surface antibody (positive HBsAb or anti-HBs) indicates prior infection and recovery. For chronically infected persons, it will usually appear with the virus (positive HBsAg).

Reading all test report indicates that you are not having any hepatitis B.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Got blood test for hbsag and nucleic acid test for hbv. What does it mean? 2 hours later
So doc is there any danger or threat for my life,or my wife and kids.do I need any midicaions.and will it comes againe or i am ok.thank u

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 20 minutes later
There is no threat to you or your family.
However you must ensure that your family is well protected and all of them should receive hepatitis B vaccine.
Thanks

Follow-up: Got blood test for hbsag and nucleic acid test for hbv. What does it mean? 38 minutes later
Hello,by the way doct,I had vaccine 8 years ago.do I need to take anther shot to activate the vaccine.and to increase hbsab.thank u for your time

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
If the estimation of HBs antibody is less than 10 units,only then you go for repeat vaccination and if the value is above 10,then it means your antibodies levels are proper and so there won't be any need of any repetitive vaccination.
Thanks

Follow-up: Got blood test for hbsag and nucleic acid test for hbv. What does it mean? 19 hours later
Hollo,doct
I went to the doc and he told me since I have XXXXXXX hbv negative,so I have no hepatitis b as u said.but he wants to make sure 100% that I am clear before I repeat the vaccination.i did extra tests,total(hbcab)-Igm(hbcab)-(hbeab).
what do u think
Thank u doct

I think your doctor is being very cautious and there is nothing wrong in this.
Carry on with these tests for absolute clarity.
Once you find these test to be normal,you can go for repeat vaccination only if you find anti HBs antibodies to be less than 10.
If above 10,there is no need for repeat vaccination,as I xplained above.
Thanks

Follow-up: Got blood test for hbsag and nucleic acid test for hbv. What does it mean? 39 hours later
I did the tests,and the doctor told me that every things are ok.i had false positve on HBcAb because I had the vaccine 8 years ago.and he told me to repeat the vaccination again to increase HbsAb.he said I will take one shot after 1 month we will do the test if did not increase I will take another shot.he said we have to increas it to more than 10,but the blood bank they need more than 40 so I can donat blood.so will it increase to more than 40 from the first shot.thank u

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Please carry on with the advise of your treating doctor.
Thanks