What does "AST 54 H" and "large forms of platelets were noted" mean?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi, I recently went to a free clinic and my lab work showed that my AST was 54 H U/L 10-30. The nurse circle the 54 H and advised me to look further into this.Can you please explain to me what this may mean? I am a 34 yrold female, a smoker and have had some drug abuse issues in my past. It also states on my lab work that "large forms of platelets were noted". Please tell me what this may mean. thank u please tell me if any more of the following is unusual and what it could poss mean: cbc w differential rbc values erythrocyte count 4.93 mill/ul 3.8-5.1 hemoglobin 14.9 g/dl 11.7-15.5 hematocrit 46.1 h % 35.-45. mcv 93.5 fl 80-100 mch 30.2 pg 27-33 mchc 32.3 g/dl 32-36 rdw 52.9h % 11-15 neutrophils 56.2/ lymphocytes 33.7/ monocytes 9.5 eosinophils 0.4/ basophils.2=====
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: There is just slight elevation of AST and it isnt indicating anything serious. It can be found in healthy people or in some liver conditions usch as hepatitis, fatty liver,gallbladder stone. Also, it can be elavted in smokers. I dont think that you need to be concerned,but condiering your addiciton history you should do liver ultrasound and check viral hepatitis markers,especially hepatitis b and c. But as I said,at this point,there is no some finding which is worryng. If liver US and markers are fine,you should just repeat blood work in 2-3 months and see is there progression of AST level. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards