Fell and hit head. Have swelling. What should I do?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
hi doc, i fell down in the bathroom and i hit my head and its swelling what should i do?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rest and pain-killers at present.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The concern is that you may have suffered a significant head injury. First you can apply a cold compress to the affected area that is swelling. Sit down and rest.
Symptoms that would need you to visit the ED would be a violent headache, loss of consciousness, persistent vomiting, blurred vision, difficulty in speaking or staying awake, bleeding from one or both ears, loss of balance.
The fact that you are able to submit this question would indicate that you are OK at present. However, if any of these symptoms occur later then you should act on them.
Take paracetamol and ibuprofen if you have pain.
I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,