Feeling vertigo and imbalance in crowed area. Medical test normal. How to treat this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Sir
I am feeling vertigo / imbalance for all 5-7 years. Especially in supermarket and crowd and when i walk. All Test EEG, MRI AND CBC has done but every test found in order, Nothing was found wrong. Please suggest me why i feel imbalance / vertigo also my hearing capacity is becoming weak day by day. While walking when my foot hit too much/ serious dizziness occurs.
2. After washing the hairs when i get up my head then also feel dizziness.

in short i can say that : While walking, shopping and going in crowd my body dont remain in balance. Feel too much dizziness. Kindly suggest me any remedy

Rgds XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Maintaining the balance is the function of nerves, vestibular system, and cerebellum.

So any disturbance in these system will lead to imbalance of the body.

There are many causes for vertigo like benign paroxysmal vertigo, inner ear infections leading to labyrinthitis, multiple sclerosis, and many.

But proper evaluation is important to know the cause for your problem.

As your hearing is also becoming weak day by day , there may be an inner ear problem where the cochlea and vestibular apparatus is present.

So I advise you to consult an ENT surgeon for the examination of your ears, to assess your hearing capacity by objective tests like clinical tests and BERA test and to examine the vestibular system.

Remedy depens on the cause of vertigo, so I suggest you to go for the complete evaluation for the problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Feeling vertigo and imbalance in crowed area. Medical test normal. How to treat this? 29 minutes later
AS PER YOUR REPLY, I ALREADY CONSULTED WITH ENT IN CHANDIGARH. HE DIAGNOSED ME PROPERLY WITH PMT TEST. HE TOLD ME THERE IS SOME MINOR WEAKNESS IN MY RIGHT YEAR. AND ADVISED ME NOT TO GO NEAR HIGH VOLUME LIKE DJ, HIGH MUSIC. AND HE PRESCRIBED ME MEDICINE "NERVIGUARD". BUT MY PROBLEM IS STILL SAME. NOW WHERE SHOULD I GO FOR THIS TREATMENT. AS I HAVE ALREADY CONSULTED NEUROLOGIST, ENT SPECIALIST, PSYCHIATRIST. WHERE CAN BE THE PROBLEM? ALSO MY MRI IS NORMAL, PMT TEST IS NORMAL, CBC IS NORMAL, BP IS NORMAL, SUGAR IS NORMAL, THYROID IS NORMAL.

RGDS XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 53 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Even though with consultation of an ENT surgeon and Neurologist, your problem of vertigo doesn't get improved.

So this suggests that you need to be in regular follow up with these doctors to evaluate further, to know the progression of vertigo, and to assess the treatment response at regular intervals.

Medications and vestibular exercises are available to treat vertigo and are advised by your doctors.

But some times decreased blood supply to the inner ear also lead to vertigo, especially with head and neck movements.

Dizzines is different from vertigo, and usually presents with fainting episode.

Dizziness needs evaluation by a Physician with ECG testing to assess the cardiac function.

Therefore I advise you to be in regular follow up with ENT surgeon and Neurologist till the cause for vertigo is known and till you get a symptomatic relief.

Regards.

Follow-up: Feeling vertigo and imbalance in crowed area. Medical test normal. How to treat this? 15 hours later
Sir
Yesterday i visited to doctor (Homeo Specialist) in chandigarh. And i showed him all my medical reports. He says this problem is related to ears. (Vestibular Disorders.). Due to this blood supply is irregular to the brain. Thats why body remain imbalance even while crossing the road, and with movement. So, What medicine / exercise you suggest for this problem.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Yes vertigo is related to problems of inner ear and its connections and comes under vestibular disorders.

Vestibular apparatus in the inner ear with its neural connections, will regulate the balance of our body.

So problems in vestibular system will lead to wrong perception and confusing signaling of balance of the body leading to vertigo and disturbance in balance.

The problems of vestibule are caused by viral and bacterial infections of labyrinth(part of vestibular apparatus), decreased blood supply to labyrinth, and problems of vestibular connections with the brain.

Treatment of vertigo depends on the cause of underlying problem.

Ear infections need treatment with antibiotics. Some times steroids may be helpful.

The common medications used to treat vertigo are meclizine, promethazine, diphenhydramine, and diazepam and the medication is to be used in prescribed dosage with a doctor prescription.

Staying active will improve the balance.

Simple head movements and keeping your balance while standing and sitting will reduce vertigo.

Regards.