Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness?

XXXXXXX is 66 and just had a flash bout of chills and shaking. no fever no pain just went into cold chills.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Some more information please. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for the query. Generally, chills & shaking is an attempt of body to fight off infection & is followed by fever. Chill with shaking without temperature is due to attempt of body to bring body temperature to normal, when it had fallen down due to some cause. It’s natural that you are anxious to help XXXXXXX & avoid it in future. Please provide me following information, so that I can suggest some possibilities & management. -Was she exposed to cold before the episode? -Was it only once? Or repeated? -How long did it remain? - Was it after 4-6 hours after exposure to an allergen? - Is she over weight/lean & thin? She has swelling of thyroid gland? - Is she weak & pale? (Anemic) - Did it follow tension, stress, and depression? Is she a composed personality or a hot tempered? Do you observe change in her temperament these days? - Did she have associated symptoms like digestive problem, swollen face, swelling over legs, Urine problem, and palpitation? Is there any other infection in body? - Any thing else you have noted? I am waiting for the information, so as to help you further. Thank you.
Follow-up: Feeling chill and shaking. Is this a sign of an illness? 20 hours later
possable on setof to your questions. eposode lasted 10 to 15 min. and it re accured about 6:15 pm central us time. temp 103.3
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Shivering most likely due to infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, Though you don't have specific answer for most of my queries, as there was fever following the chill it is likely that XXXXXXX has some infection. She had temperature of 103 deg F, ollowing the episode of chills, with flu like symptoms the picture is clear that she has infection (viral/bacterial). - Mostly fever with chills & flu like symptoms are due to acute respiratory tract infection / common cold. These are mostly self limiting conditions and need only symptomatic treatment. However a few conditions such as malaria or septic infection need antibiotic treatment. Therefore it is worthwhile to consult your doctor for physical examination/ investigations (if needed) & advice of treatment. I hope the answer satisfies you. I will be happy to help you for further query, if any. Thanks.