Feeling bloated, exhausted and lazy. How soon can I take a pregnancy test after unprotected sex?

Mar 2016

Hi, had gotten my last period on January 11th. I have unprotected sex with my boyfriend. I have been feeling strange, feeling bloated, feeling exausted and lazy. I also get sick to my stomach. I have not missed my period yet, but is it too soon to take an in home pregnancy test?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Basically, pregnancy depends on proper timing of ovulation and unprotected sex. Here, your expected due date will be 7-9th February in case of 28-30 days cycle. You ovulated around 25-27th January and your fertile days was 22nd- 30th January. If you did unprotected sex in this time period, then there is high chance of being pregnant. Above said clinical features also correspond with early pregnancy.

You can undergo home pregnancy test 2 weeks after ovulation or around period due date/ missed period. At that time, home pregnancy test with urine for HCG gives only 95% positive result. 95-99% positive result can be achieved after 7 days of missed period.

Estimation of beta HCG level and ultrasound scan (on 5-6 weeks) or Trans Vaginal Sonography (on 4 weeks) are the gold standard for 100% confirmation of pregnancy.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Feeling bloated, exhausted and lazy. How soon can I take a pregnancy test after unprotected sex? 9 minutes later
Is it best to take a test in the morning, or is it okay to take a test at this time?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Morning urine sample is the best for home pregnancy test as it contains high amount of beta HCG hormone and gives highly accurate result.

Though, you can do home pregnancy test at any time after your missed period.

Here, I suggest you to wait for upcoming period and if it is missed for 7 days, you need to undergo one pregnancy test. An other thing, early (around period due date) pregnancy test may give false negative result due to low concentration of beta HCG.

Hope, I have answered your query and clear your doubt. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion. Please accept my answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen