On dialysis. Periods with spotting, feel nausea, fatigue and headaches. Could I b pregnant

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am on dialysis and hav had 2 periods second being spotting of blood and feel nausea fatigue and headaches could I b pregnant
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 45 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query
With altered menstrual bleeding pattern, the chance of pregnancy definitely exists.
Please take a blood B HCG Test to confirm the picture.
It will tell you about an early pregnancy, a failed pregnancy as well as an ectopic pregnancy also, which a urine pregnancy test would not.
Equally helpful would be to go for a pelvic trans vaginal ultrasound.
Feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: On dialysis. Periods with spotting, feel nausea, fatigue and headaches. Could I b pregnant 2 hours later
The first period was on the 23rd April which lasted 4-5 days and the second started on the 7th May but went from red to brown colour, and was only for bout 2-3 days because I am on renal dialysis I need to be absolutely sure this may possibly be an indication of being pregnant and not having a cold etc. As mentioned I am feeling very tired,and faint feeling with nausea please could you confirm many thanks, also I do not pass any urine

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
You cannot confirm pregnancy without a blood test or an ultrasound. Please get these done.

Follow-up: On dialysis. Periods with spotting, feel nausea, fatigue and headaches. Could I b pregnant 6 hours later
Hi have just been to the doctor as per your advice
And he was adamant sure I could not be pregnant
And refused to do a test he also said that I would have to have at least 6
Weeks gap between the last period and waiting for the next period to determine pregnancy

Perhaps you can advise?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
I would like to know how the doctor was so sure there is no pregnancy.
If he refuses the tests, you can go for a urine pregnancy test.

Follow-up: On dialysis. Periods with spotting, feel nausea, fatigue and headaches. Could I b pregnant 1 hour later
Because he said the reason for me having 2 periods in 2 weeks could be hormonal and maybe stress he was sure because I would have to had missed my n
Period of 6 weeks I do not pass urine because of the dialysis
Please advise as I am very confused on wat to do

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
There is no way to be sure without one of the following :
1. Urine pregnancy test.
2. Blood B HCG test.
3. pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan.
You HAVE to get one of these done to rule out a pregnancy.