Fatty liver, no scarring, high liver enzymes due to drinking. How long will it take to get my liver back to normal?

I have an extremely fatty liver. No scarring. Very high liver enzymes due to excessive drinking and binge drinking . How long will it take my liver to get back to normal if I stopnalcohol, exercise and eat healthy balanced diet
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 11 hours later

Alcohol intake causes a spectrum of liver disease ranging from Fatty liver to Fatty liver with inflammation and cirrhosis.

Of these, fatty liver is completely reversible on stopping alcohol. The time taken to reverse the disease depends upon the extent to which the liver is involved. Fatty liver with mild inflammation is reversible on stopping alcohol and may take 3-6months. Fatty liver with severe inflammation will have some cirrhotic changes on liver biopsy and this may not be completely reversible. Cirrhosis is not reversible even after abstinence from alcohol.

However abstinence helps at any stage and there is improvement in the inflammation.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.