Face was swollen after a blood transfusion. Is this a cause for alarm?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My fathers face has become swollen several hrs. after a blood transfussion, is this a cause for alarm?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be possibly due to allergic reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Any sort of an abnormal symptom or sign after a blood transfusion is definitely alarming (whether it could be a mild or severe reaction) and needs medical attention.

In your father's case, I suspect it could be an Allergic transfusion reaction (provided his vital data like Blood pressure, Pulse rate and Respiratory rate are within normal limits and there is no associated Fever). Mild transfusion reactions can be effectively managed by symptomatic and supportive treatments.

Use of Antihistamine preparations like Benadryl either in oral form or Intravenously may be helpful in treating allergic reactions due to blood transfusion.

A detailed clinical examination is needed to establish the correct cause of swelling of the face.

I suggest you to approach your treating doctor and discuss the issues before any untoward things happen.

Hope I have addressed your query.

Follow-up: Face was swollen after a blood transfusion. Is this a cause for alarm? 3 minutes later
Thank you for your responce Dr. K. Naga XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

All other vital signs seem to be okay. He is not complaining of any shortness of breath, fever or rash, Just the swollen face. From your answer I take it that This can wait till morning to call his doctor and see what needs to be done, Correct?

I appreciate your responce, thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

Keep an eye on your Father and watch for any symptoms. If he complaints of Dyspnoea (difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath), he needs to be taken to the ER immediately because there is a possibility of development of Laryngeal odema in allergic reactions.

If there are no new complaints or the existing situation is not worsening, you can wait and watch.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Good day