Experiencing symptoms of pregnancy, taking spironolactone. Had PCOS, irregular periods and miscarriage. Suggest?

I am a 28 yr old female. MY LMP was 4th April. I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years back and was put on various treatments but have not been taking anything for the last 5 years. Over the last 6 months I've been taking spironolactone on and off for the treatment of mild acne.

My ovulation is extremely unpredictable. Last year I conceived within a week of my LMP and then miscarried at 8 weeks.

One week ago I started experiencing symptoms that I had last time I was pregnant - soreness of breasts, cramping, mild nausea, increased sense of smell, irritability.. Given my unpredictable ovulations, I decided to take a home pregnancy test (urine).

I took a total of three tests.

First one, early morning, 23/04 - initially positive (test & control bands appeared and then faded out). May have been faulty.

Second test - early morning 24/04 - positive (test band was a bit light though);

Third test - afternoon 24/04 - negative (urine too dilute..?)

Took a Beta-HCG test & Routine Blood Analysis today (25/04). My WBC total is elevated (10,800 cmm) and my hCG levels are 'Less than 1.2 mlU/ml'. Reference is 0-5 mIU/ml = Non Pregnant.

Does this mean I'm not pregnant..? Is it too early (3 weeks since LMP)? Have I miscarried already? Should I take another blood test 3 days from now..? :(

Also, if I take another test and that's positive.. Should I be worried because I've been taking spirinolactone sporadically for the last few months..?

Thanks :(
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 47 minutes later

Considering your history of PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and unpredictable ovulation, I can understand the anxiety which you might be going through.

I wanted to know whether your periods are regular or not?

As you have taken up 3 home pregnancy tests, out of which two were positive and third negative and seeing your b-HCG report, I would suggest you to wait till you miss your period. Then, again repeat a home pregnancy test with the morning urine sample, as the hormone levels of pregnancy might still not be upto the XXXXXXX

If you are very anxious, I would suggest you to go for an ultrasonography of the pelvis, which would let us know exactly whether you are pregnant or not.

Spironolactone is contraindicated in pregnancy, I would suggest you to stop it immediately till the news of your pregnancy is confirmed. Even if you are planning to conceive in near future, then I would suggest you to XXXXXXX your doctor and discuss about the alternative for spironolactone.

Would like to review with the reports, it is less likely that you would have already aborted.

Don't worry, take care.
All the Best.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani
Follow-up: Experiencing symptoms of pregnancy, taking spironolactone. Had PCOS, irregular periods and miscarriage. Suggest? 28 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr. Rishma.

I will consider taking an ultrasound sometime next week.

My periods used to be extremely irregular, disappearing for up to 4 months.. My cycle is still a bit variable but since my last pregnancy I've been surprisingly regular despite taking no medication at all.

Last 6 periods as follows:

29 Sep - 1 Oct; Cycle Length 35 Days
03 Nov - 05 Nov; Cycle Length 31 Days
04 Dec - 06 Dec; Cycle Length 33 Days
05 XXXXXXX - 07 Jan; Cycle Length 58 Days
05 Mar - 07 Mar; Cycle Length 30 Days
[LMP] 04 Apr - 07 Apr; Cycle Length /

Thank you very much for your support. I'll get back to you with any further test results if relevant.

All the best,

Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 58 minutes later

I am happy to see that you are maintaining your menstrual diary up to date very nicely, and appreciate you for the same, keep it up.

Seeing your previous cycles they seem to be pretty regular.

It would be great pleasure to review your reports and advice you further if needed.

Don't worry, take care.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani