Experiencing piles problem and diarrhoea after starting birth control. Feeling nauseous. What should I do?

I have been having stomach issues ever since I started Birth Control (coincidence? I asked the female doctor and they said this is not a symptom. Anyway, my poop has been coming out in "piles" so to speak, broken up, and it just piles up on the toilet wall. It was pretty XXXXXXX this morning and smelled bad. I've also been experiencing a lot of diarrea. Is this an issue with fiber or can there be a bigger issue at hand? It hasn't gotten better in a long time and I like to think I'm fairly healthy. Though I do smoke cigarettes, which as of late have been making me gag and feel super nauseous. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 6 hours later

Birth control pills do cause nausea and vomiting that are upper gastrointestinal symptoms. They do not cause diarrhoea or constipation which is lower gastrointestinal symptoms.

There seems a problem with your diet as stools coming out in "piles", broken up indicate that there is some amount of constipation in you. It is possible that your diet is not XXXXXXX in fibre and that you may not be consuming adequate fluids daily.

Alternating diarrhoea and constipation is a feature of inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS). You may be in the initial stages now.

Please alter your diet accordingly with high fibre and consume a minimum of 3 litres of fluids in a day.

Smoking cigarettes and birth control pills do not go well together. It predisposes to Thrombosis of the blood vessels. Try quitting smoking or change over to other contraceptive methods like Intrauterine Devices (IUDs).

If your bowel symptoms continue to occur even after the changes in your diet, consider consulting a Gastroenterologist. A colonoscopy may be required.

I hope this helps you. Please do write back for further discussion on this.

Get well soon.