Ectopic heart beats, breathless and wheezy after sneezing, difficulty breathing. What is causing this?

I am a 30yr old female, about 5 foot in height and 10stone in weight. Very healthy apart from ectopic heart beats that bother me every day! Want to ask: Every time I sneeze I feel very breathless and wheezy, this has been going on a while and comes and goes. It is quite bad at the moment. It lasts for a minute or so after I sneeze. Also, I sometimes feel a little breathless when at rest, like I cant breath easily. I would like to know whats causing this uncomfortable feeling??
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Regarding your symptoms it is somewhat difficult to tell what the exact cause is but I have a few ideas which might be explored by your self or your doctor.

The first category of symptoms which could explain what is going on would be a regularity in your heart rate related to your sneezing. The act of sneezing causes an increase in the pressure within the chest which can cause of the heart to be somewhat more irritable. I am thinking that when you sneeze this type of thing is triggered and you encounter some irregularity in your heart rate which triggers the symptoms what you're feeling including some breathlessness and uncomfortable feeling overall.

Regarding the other symptoms what you reported including the breathlessness which comes and goes. This could possibly be related to a mild degree of asthma. This is something with your doctor can consider when he sees you at your next appointment. There are several different tests which can be performed to rule out the existence of asthma.

Regarding the irregularity of the heartbeat it might be necessary at some point for you to wear a monitor which would record any irregularity of your heart. This would help your doctor or cardiologist determine if you need any medication. There are some classes of medications which can be given at a low dose to decrease the incidence of these ectopic heartbeats. Again all of this is something which should be discussed in great detail with your response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I want to be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert