Do all postmenopausal women have strong vaginal odor?

The last time I had sex with my wife I noticed that she had a strong vaginal odour. She said nothing about it and I was too embarassed to ask. She was over 45 and I assumed that the odour was associated with her menapause. We divorced and in the last 10 years I have been having sex with young women only. I would like to form a permanent relationship with a woman my age, but I never go past the talking stage as I fear an unpleasant surpirse if we become intimate. Do all post-menapausal women have a vagina smell?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

The strong vaginal odor in your wife’s case seem to be be due to bacterial vaginosis. Normal vaginal discharge is without odor and color. Pre and post menopausal discharge does not smell.

There are normal bacteria residing near the vagina and in bacterial vaginosis, there is a disruption of these bacteria which may be caused by a change in the type of bacteria found in the vagina. In addition to unpleasant "fishy" vaginal odor, thin white or yellowish discharge from vagina may also be present.

Diagnosis can be confirmed after pelvic examination and microscopic examination of the vaginal discharge. Treatment is by metronidazole and clindamycin which are available by prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.