Diagonised with adenoids. Getting frequent cold and cough. How long should I continue LC kid tablet?

My daugter has been diagonised with adenoids and gets frequent cold and cough. When i give her Montec LC kid tablet it helps her.. But when she misses a day she has cough.. How long can i continue to give it
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Montek LC is a symptomatic treatment usually given in Allergic rhinitis.This medication can induce sleep as it contains Levocetrizine, giving in the morning times is not usually recommended.A tablet in the night after food is given as long as the symptoms persist but for not more than 15 days.The same medication is given in cycles with gaps in asthmatics.

This medication has tendencies to become Habitual, frequent administration may lead to symptoms getting resistant to other medications of the same class.Hence switching over to different brands of different drugs of the same class during the episodes of cold is recommended.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Diagonised with adenoids. Getting frequent cold and cough. How long should I continue LC kid tablet? 8 minutes later
Thanks Dr
How about Relent Syrup. My daughter gets frequent cold & has cough lasting until the next one starts. What is the best way to handle this? Her cough is occassional and is there in the evenings , nights or mornings..Her nose has been blocked for almost 3 months now
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Same applies to the Relent syrup which contains Cetrizine, a drug of same class.You can use either Montek LC or Relent at a time.Do shift between each for recurrent episodes.

I would recommend more natural or home treatment for such a history of frequent and long term cough.

Steam inhalation with Eucalyptus in the water.
Milk with a pinch of turmeric in it , given specially during nights after food.
Ginger drops given mixed with any juices.
Garlic in soups , this controls the cough well.
Drinking water boiled with Cinnamon in it.

The above remedies though slow will surely help better, and also prevent recurrences.

For nasal blockade you can use NASIVION decongestant nasal drops when it is severe.2 to 3 drops in each nostril twice daily will suffice.The Nasivion should not be administered on a long run say not more than 5 days continuously.

Hope I answered your doubts.

Wish you good health.