Diagnosed with malaria, which triggered mild jaundice. Can I consume alcohol?

It's now 2+ months , I was diagnosed for Malaria. Which also triggered mild Jaundice (Bilirubin 1.2 levels). I could quickly get back to normal levels. I consume alcohol in very normal levels.

Can I now start consuming alchol, atleast 4-5 units a week.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to do liver function tests.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

Before starting alcohol it is better to go for a complete liver function test including Serum bilirubin, SGOT, SGPT, alkaline phosphatase.

These enzymes look for liver damage and increased values suggest some residual damage to liver.

As alcohol also leads to liver damage, before starting it is good to be sure about the healthy status of the liver.

Please let me know if you need more information.