Diagnosed with acute Hep B. What treatment should be done to get cure completely?

In March 2012 After having a blood test I was diagnosed with Acute Hep B. I was told by a doctor + consultant it should clear up on its own within 6 to 12 months. It is now April 2013. Have had several blood test during this period. Also had liver scans which were ok/normal. In November consultant told me that latest blood tests still showed the virus. Consultant advised a further test in 6 weeks and if it was still present then a course of treatment may be required to get rid of it. I didn't have the recommended blood test till Feb 28th 2013. I received a letter for follow up appointment for Monday 14 April 2013. I am extremely worried about the result. I have read about the symptoms of Acute Hep B and don't have any of them. Why don't I have them?

Thank you for any advice. XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 3 hours later

At present either you are carrier for the hepatitis B or it is start of Acute hepatitis B resolves completely over a period of few weeks to months.
If it persists beyond then there are chances of developing chronic hepatitis B.To get symptoms of chronic hepatitis B ,your liver needs to damaged grossly and it takes many years to get liver damaged.At present you liver function is normal hence you do not have symptoms of this infection.

Sometimes there occurs reactivation of carrier state and it leads to symptoms similar to acute hepatitis B.

Hope this answers your query.

Thank you.