Diagnosed with MCTD. Having bouts of forgetfulness and clumsiness. Is this normal?

Hi, Ive been diagnosed with mctd. Recently I have been having bouts of forgetfulness and clumsyness to where I have fallen on several occasions. Is this normal for mctd? I have extereme fatigue, my hair falls out. I test positive for lupus on all blood work but one test. Im just frustated because my joints hurt so bad and the meds he has me on dont work. My vitamin d levels are always way low in the teens 18 was the last level, so I take calcium once a week for 12 weeks and that dont help. I have no thyroid and Im on 125 mcg of levotyroc sorry cant spell it I take 2 a day. I have no thyroid and my levels are alway normal.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

All the symptoms that you have mentioned is seen in MCTD.

Even though the nervous system involvement is rare. An assessment of cognitive functions in patients with MCTD showed cognitive deficits observed in MCTDs were connected with nervous system involvement.

The prognosis for MCTD tends to be better than other autoimmune diseases due to lack of renal disease and response to corticosteroids. Based on the symptoms treatment is given. I know it is difficult but i advice you to be reduce your anxiety.

For joint pain, hot compression or over the counter analgesic gel can be tried.

I advice you to discuss with your consulting doctor about the steroid option.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with MCTD. Having bouts of forgetfulness and clumsiness. Is this normal? 7 hours later
I go to the gym and have no idea what types of things I can do that wont result in me hurting terribly bad. I take an aqua fitness class and stick to the treadmill. Any suggestions? I LOVE classes, high impact but scared to take them. Thank you so much for your help. Im trying to work on my anixiety levels, my husband is deployed and I have 2 small kids, so I have been stressed more over the last few months.

Everything with MCTD seems so much like Lupus..I have Sjogrens Syndrome along with it. Just frustrated, because my hand strength is nothing like it used to be. I have to get help opening things all the time.

Thanks for your help..
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 10 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
I advice you to do the stuff which comforts you in the gym and not to go for all the stuff. Even in the classes do the workout that does not discomforts you.
MCTD is classically considered as an overlap of three diseases, scleroderma, and polymyositis. So features of lupus will be seen.
I advice you some how find a way to reduce your stress level, may be your classes may also help. Reducing stress has multiple benefits.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.