Delayed periods with nausea, vomiting. Have acid reflux. Connected? Other causes?

Hi. Im a young adult who gets bad periods every month. Currently, I have started experiencing nausea, and now vomitting during and before my period. I do have acid reflux but I know it is unrelated for it only happens around my period. What is wrong? it is keeping me up at night, like it is now.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Delayed periods with nausea, vomiting. Have acid reflux. Connected? Other causes? 3 minutes later
I sometimes experience insomnia. It goes away, than comes back months later. What can I do about this?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 31 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     21 year old female
•     Known case of episodic sleep difficulty, Painful periods (Dysmenorrhoea) and acid reflux
•     Complaints of: nausea and vomiting before and after periods.

Having painful period is very common problem especially in young. It is frequently associated with nausea and vomiting. In your case as you already have problem related to acid reflux, painful periods work as stressor and lead to increase acid secretion. Increase acid secretion itself can cause nausea and vomiting.

Having painful periods is very distressful condition for patient. It is chronic condition and occurs because of production of prostaglandins around periods in body. Its severity decreases with age. For treatment analgesics are used at the start of pain (sooner is better). You also continue treatment for acidity.

For sleep difficulty follows below principles of sleep hygiene which will help you in long term:
•     Fix a bedtime and an awakening time. Do not be one of those people who allow bedtime and awakening time to drift. The body "gets used" to falling asleep at a certain time, but only if this is relatively fixed. Even if you are retired or not working, this is an essential component of good sleeping habits.
•     Avoid napping during the day
•     Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bedtime. This includes caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate, so be careful.
•     Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime
•     Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Regular exercise, particularly in the afternoon, can help deepen sleep.
•     Use comfortable bedding.
•     Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated.
•     Block out all distracting noise, and eliminate as much light as possible.
•     Reserve the bed for sleep. Don't use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room. Let your body "know" that the bed is associated with sleeping.
•     Practice relaxation techniques before bed. Relaxation techniques such as yoga, XXXXXXX breathing and others may help relieve anxiety and reduce muscle tension.
•     Don't take your worries to bed. Leave your worries about job, school, daily life, etc., behind when you go to bed. Some people find it useful to assign a "worry period" during the evening or late afternoon to deal with these issues.
•     Establish a pre-sleep ritual. Pre-sleep rituals, such as a warm bath or a few minutes of reading, can help you sleep.
•     Getting Up in the Middle of the Night- If you find that you get up in the middle of night and cannot get back to sleep within 15-20 minutes, then do not remain in the bed "trying hard" to sleep. Get out of bed. Leave the bedroom. Read, have a light snack, do some quiet activity, or take a bath. You will generally find that you can get back to sleep 20 minutes or so later. Do not perform challenging or engaging activity such as office work, housework, etc. Do not watch television.
•     A Word about Television: Many people fall asleep with the television on in their room. Watching television before bedtime is often a bad idea. Television is a very engaging medium that tends to keep people up. We generally recommend that the television not be in the bedroom. Some people find that the radio helps them go to sleep. Since radio is a less engaging medium than TV, this is probably a good idea.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for followup.

Wish you good health.