Delayed period for 3 weeks. Dr. advised Primolut, still no periods. Is it possible to be pregnant with zero hcg in blood test?

May 2013
Due to my delayed period for almost 3 weeks, doc prescribed primolut for 7days after negative result in blood hcg test for pregnancy. It has been 5days after last dose of Primolut but still no period. What could be the reason? Is it possible to be pregnant with zero hcg in blood test? If i were pregnant while on Primolut, what could be the effect?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 35 minutes later
thanks for the query.

the purpose of prescribing primolut( which is a progesterone), is in case of progesterone deficiency states like luteal phase problems, by giving progesterone from outside withdrawal bleeding can be achieved from estrogen primed endometrium.

the possible causes for still not getting periods are,

-some time progesterones will take around 1 week to show their effect.

-there may be some other problem at level of hypothalamopituitary axis leading to both estrogen and progesterone deficiency.

-in case of irregular cycles you may ovulated late, so there is possibility of pregnancy.
as HCG appears in the blood after implantation, you may tested before that.

-even if you use progesterone in pregnancy there will be no harm to the fetus as progesterone helps in maintenance of pregnancy.

so now you wait for two more days, even then if you do not get periods,
you consult your gynecologist,

-undergo ultrasound to detect the state of endometrium,

-and then if needed you can go for repeat testing for pregnancy or estimation of levels of hormones like FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone, prolactin and thyroid profile under her guidence.

with this the possible cause could be made out and treatment can be given according to that.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.
Follow-up: Delayed period for 3 weeks. Dr. advised Primolut, still no periods. Is it possible to be pregnant with zero hcg in blood test? 20 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Incidentally i have taken first dose of anti-cervical vaccination first dose after testing negative in hcg blood test. What is the effect on this on the fetus in the early weeks of pregnancy?

If after consultation with OB on confirmed pregnancy, what are the precautions you advice with regards to have taken Primolut and Garsadil on early implantation?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

normally Gardasil is not recommended in pregnancy
but according to animal studies no teratogenic effects noted on fetus.
and studies on humans are lacking.
anyhow as you already took it don't worry if at all pregnancy test comes positive follow with regular checkups and early ultrasound examinations to detect any possible anomaly.

no specific precautions needed for Primolut and for Gardasil as I told follow baby growth carefully and regularly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.