Is Verorab vaccination advisable when on medication for bacterial chest infection?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Good day doctor, I was gently nibbled and scratched by a stray kitten I decided to adopt in Qatar. I went to the CDC and immediately started my Verorab course and received a tetanus shot. The kitten was taken to a reputable local vet and booked in for the holiday period during which she has been monitored ever since. She received her vaccines after +/- 1 week and has also been spayed, dewormed, tested for FIV and leukemia. She is now still in boarding there until next week. She is fine and healthy. Now, my question / conern is that I ended up in the ER with a slight, chest infection following untreated sinus infection. Blood work showed the infection as bacterial, so I am currently using Augmentin SR x2, twice daily. Because of my asthma - I also received a steriod IV, 4 x nubilization and now corticosteroid (budesonide) inhalers... Which will render my Verorab vaccine ineffective. So, should I continue with my 4th and final Verorab vaccination - should I start the course again, or can I safely assume my new rescued ( ex stray cat) is free from rabies ... And I will be fine too? Kind regards
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, You are saying to have bacterial chest infection and you have the last dose of Verorab vaccine left. In your case, the vaccine is done after the exposure. Usually, contraindications include fever. So, if you are feverish, you can postpone the last dose of vaccine for another day until you will be improved. So, there is no need to start the course of vaccination, but to post-pone the last dose of vaccine. After having the last dose, you might measure the levels of rabies antibodies. I'd also suggest to get tested for toxoplasma antibodies as usually, cat scratching are also related to toxo infection. Wish you fast recovery! Dr.Sonila