Dark brown, sticky vaginal spotting and lower back pain, uncomfortable to walk. What could be the reason?

Dark brown, sticky vaginal spotting and lower back pain, mostly on my left side for five days now. Uncomfortable to walk and have taken the past two days off. Next period is due on October 20th.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,

This may be a pelvic infection. in that sense an antibiotic might be beneficial.

If you have significant pain however it would be essential for you to have an imaging evaluation such as a transvaginal ultrasound to evaluate the uterus and ovaries to see if there is anything unusual which might explain your symptoms.

I think you need an evaluation by your primary physician as soon as possible.

Let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga