What are the best options if diagnosed with enlarge ovary and uterus with family history of cancer?

Oncologist, Surgical
I am reviewing the results from my transvaginal ultrasound. It states that my left ovary is close to double the size of my right at 36x41x35mm and has a relatively echogenic, nonshadowing 20x24x29mm solid left ovarian lesion. My uterus is also enlarged at 5x6.5x10.4cm. My CA 125 was in range 5 years ago. Should that be repeated? My mother, grandmother, two aunts and one great aunt all had breast cancer. Only one lived over 50. My paternal grandmother had uterine cancer. Both my younger brother have had cancer one of their daughters has had some type of gyn cancer. As much as I know that my scan can all be benign, I also want to be prepared and know what types of questions to ask when I see the dr in 3 weeks. Any words of advise will be appreciated I am 48 and had one full term pregnancy (28years ago-delivered by c-section)
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I suugest that you see a genetic counsellor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. After reading your family history, I suggest that you seriously consider the option of hysterectomy and removal of both ovaries. In your case presence of a lesion in your left ovary is a significant finding and can't be dismissed as benign. CA 125 has no relevance in your case as it is never used as a screening test. I know that surgery is going to be difficult to due to multiple previous surgeries on the abdomen but the risk of harbouring a cancer is high in your case. Therefore if I were you, I would discuss the options of getting it removed with the treating doctor. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards