Could drinking 3 litres of water, 5 coffees cause often urination in night?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
could drinking 3 litres of water, 5 coffees plus a diet pill during the day
make you pee 3 - 4 times during the night.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, possibly.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Three litres of water is an amount of water that the body can usually deal with by passing water during the waking hours and is a healthy amount to drink. Needing to pass water up to once per night is normal. Caffeine is a diuretic, it causes an increase in urine production. Also, there are a number of different diet pills and some of them may contain small amounts of caffeine.
Taking all this into consideration, the most likely cause of your symptoms is your high caffeine intake. There are other possible causes and I note you are 30 years old. If you are generally fit and healthy then I would suggest you have your blood sugar checked as undiagnosed diabetes can be a cause in an otherwise healthy person. Diabetes would be accompanied by persistent thirst if untreated. Alcohol is also a diuretic so if you have a high alcohol intake particularly in the evening, perhaps you could reduce your evening consumption.
In summary, I suggest you continue to drink plenty of water. Have your blood sugar checked and review your intake of caffeine and alcohol, particularly in the evening.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Could drinking 3 litres of water, 5 coffees cause often urination in night? 9 minutes later
Thanks doctor, blood results came back fine. DR suggested it could a std even though I always practice safe sex but I performed a urine test and it was negative. Since the dr suggest a possible std I has been peeing even more frequently. But I think this was a result of anxiety.

I have also been under a lot of stress at work. Even when healthy ever since I was a kid I have always peed at least 1 sometimes twice a night.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perhaps address anxiety issues.

Detailed Answer:
This does appear that there is no serious underlying condition as you have excluded the most likely possibilities. Perhaps you should look at resolving the issues causing you anxiety.
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr K A Pottinger,