Constipation, abdominal soreness, pressure on bladder and tingling on foot. Need immediate attention?

Gastroenterologist
Question
intestinal blockage?about 2 weeks ago i experienced a sudden bout of constipation which I have been battling since. I find it difficult to go and when I do my stool often comes out thin and in small pieces without the use of a laxative. I have been experiencing some abdominal soreness and pressure on my bladder in the last week or so. now starting to experience some tingling in my right foot. I have an appt with a GI specialist on the 27th of december. should I seek more immediate medical assistance for what I suspect is a blockage?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 4 hours later
Hello.

Sudden onset constipation is always pathological. The likely cause depends on your age.

In elderly especially with a changed caliber, one should always rule out an obstructing mass lesion. Sometimes it can also be secondary to some drugs taken for other purposes.

In young, one has to rule out an inflammatory cause like Pancreatitis or a severe colitis.

These things need an early medical intervention and hence go and see your GP now so that these things can be either identified and treated.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Constipation, abdominal soreness, pressure on bladder and tingling on foot. Need immediate attention? 3 hours later
but are there curtains symptoms to look for where I should seek immediate medical attention with these symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Please provide me with the following information.

Your age,
Onset and duration of the constipation, pain abdomen, bleeding per rectum, loss of appetite and loss of weight, stool consistency and form.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Constipation, abdominal soreness, pressure on bladder and tingling on foot. Need immediate attention? 20 hours later
31 year old male. constipation sudden been going on for 2 weeks. no rectal bleeding. stools are small and thin shaped but solid. no diarrhea. some abdominal pain in the last few days but seeming to go away. some pressure on bladder. some weight loss but only eating yogurt, scrambled eggs, raisin XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX sauce so I don't get backed up so weight loss likely to diet change.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 27 hours later
Hi
Sudden onset constipation in a young person is usually due to a painful anal fissure which causes the anal sphincter problems.
A change in the caliber of the stool is usually due to a distal polyp or an extrinsic compression
Both these conditions can be diagnosed by a good perianal examination and by a sigmoidoscopy.
Similar symptoms in an adult should raise a suspiscion of a polyp or a distal carcinoma
Dr XXXXXXX KS

Follow-up: Constipation, abdominal soreness, pressure on bladder and tingling on foot. Need immediate attention? 16 hours later
thank you doctor

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 days later
Thank you too.

Hope I have helped you and get well soon.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.