Cirrhosis of liver, weight loss, pain, fluid removal, kidneys not working. How much longer does he have?

Oncologist
Question
My brother inlaw has Hip B and has Cirrhosis of the liver. He has lost 150 or more pound's and has pain and hard time sleeping Loss of breath and 12 leaters of fluid removed in the last 2 weeks. His stomack is HUDGE. Now his Kidneys are not working good. How much Longer do you think he has?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Liver failure is a very difficult thing to handle and in later stages it can be very debilitating.

It is impossible to predict how much longer he has to live and some of that has to do with the number of medical interventions that are used.

Medical interventions such as draining the fluid will prolong the length of his life and possibly the quality of his life. At a point he needs to have a discussion with his physicians about goals of care. This means if he is at the point where he is feeling miserable and medicine offers no potential improvement in his status he may enter what we refer to as "palliative" care.

Palliative care physicians specialize in making patients comfortable near the end of life. Also there are organizations such as hospice which can make end of life much more comfortable for patients and family. This includes home visits by nurses and fewer visits to the emergency room and hospital.

This is a very difficult time for you I am sure. The bottom line is that I think you need to talk to the patient and make sure he has a XXXXXXX discussion with his doctor about what he would like to happen.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Cirrhosis of liver, weight loss, pain, fluid removal, kidneys not working. How much longer does he have? 2 hours later
The Dr. Wants to put a shunt in his Stomack to let fluid drain on it's own, But I am afraid he is to sick and week, Do you think this is safe?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 hours later
Hello again,

This procedure is commonly performed by skilled physicians. I think it might help him and his symptoms quite a bit and this is a reasonable consideration with the history you have provided. I think it is a good idea.

Thanks again for the query and followup. Please let me know if I may be of any additional assistance.

Regards.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Cirrhosis of liver, weight loss, pain, fluid removal, kidneys not working. How much longer does he have? 5 hours later

I Just wat to thank you so-so much for your help and KINDNESS You are a very special Person and God Bless you.
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Thank you very much for your kind words. They really mean a lot to me as a position in knowing that I am providing you with something that is helpful. Thank you once again.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow-up: Cirrhosis of liver, weight loss, pain, fluid removal, kidneys not working. How much longer does he have? 16 hours later
My brother in law has Hip C not Hip B, Does That Matter

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 hours later
Hi again,

In relation to what is going on with your brother the type of hepatitis is not really a consideration. I thank you very much for submitting this additional information.

I really hope I have provided you with some helpful thoughts here. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert