Child suffering from cold and cough for months. Not healing. Medicate with?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My kid who is one year six months old suffering from Cold.
Now she has started with cough as well.
I had consulted pediatrician near my home but still she is suffering
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Common cold and cough in children can last upto a week.It usually starts with running nose , sneezing, which increases after two days to cough and congestion of nose and chest, the mucus becomes sticky, sometimes mild fever upto 100 F may be associated.
Since small children cannot cough out the secretions they may have feeding and sleeping difficulty during cold .
If your daughter has a similar problem and you have already consulted a pediatrician then relax, it wil soon resolve .To help her cope with it you can try the following
1.use saline nose drops to clear her nose four times a day.
2.use steam inhalation or can give plain saline nebulisation available at the doctors clinic.
3: keep her well hydrated(, let her drink plenty of water)and well fed.
4.slightly elevate the head end of her bed by placing a folded cloth under her bed or using a pillow so that her head and shoulders are slightly at a higher level than the rest of the body might be giving her cough syrups thrice a day or as prescribed by your doctor, try to give it half an hour before bedtime for comfortable sleep.
6.If she develops wheeze or breathlessness, or fever more than 101 F, or rash, or irritability and refusal to feed then kindly visit your doctor immediately as these are signs of infection and she may have to take a course of antibiotics which only a doctor can prescribe after thorough check up.
If her cough increases very much so that she develops pain or vomiting, and fast breathing then
she may have to take cough expectorant and bronchodilator combination like ambroxyl and salbutamol.
As of now it doesn't seem worrisome.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.