Child stool is very tight and painful, have inserted dulcolax for comfort. Suggest?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My son stool is very tight, & he is doing motion three days once and it is very painful for him. That time we will insert dulcolax for his comfort
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dulcolax ,- use it rarely not repeatedly

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to healthcare WWW.WWWW.WW I can understand that your son suffers from constipation. May I know his age and how long is he suffering?
1) If he is below one year and still on breast feeding, then you can consider this a temporary issue. This will settle once you start feeding him fruits, vegetables and fibre XXXXXXX biscuits, along with plenty of water. I also consider evaluating for thyroid levels in such kids who come to my clinic if not already done.
2) If your son is older than 1, then its high time you need to change his dietary pattern. Many kids love milk and just dont like to have fruits or vegetables. As parents what you can try is to decrease his milk intake to only 2 glasses a day. Let him eat fibre XXXXXXX diet , ie fruits, vegetables and biscuits . It may not happen in a day or two, but needs constant efforts everyday. Even a small change will gradually improve his dietary pattern later.
Now coming to your Dulcolax , its a rectal stimulant laxative which can be used once in a while if stools are tight to provide symptomatic relief.
However prolonged repeated use of laxatives is not recommended as they can cause electrolyte imbalance in the body .

Hope I answered your query.
I would be happy to help you out if you have any concerns
Dr Arun