Child is having slight cough and chest congestion. Will it be safe to give allegra and levocet syrup?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter has a slight cough but chest congestion as well. One of my friend's daughter had the same symptoms a few weeks back and the daughter had prescribed Allegra (which my daughter also takes whenever she has a cold) and Levocet syrup. Can you pls tell me if this can be administered for my daughter as well?
Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 37 hours later
Allegra( hydroxyzine)and Levocet(levocetrizine ) are antihistamine drugs useful in allergic cough and sometimes used as decongestant .
Though they can be given to children in prescribed doses , it's best to avoid self medication.
Many a times respiratory infections usually start with mild chest congestion and cough but might worsen if not treated with appropriate antibiotics or expectorants .
The usuall initial treatment recommended in young children for cold and cough include chlorpheniramine containing decongestants , ambroxol containing mucolytics to loosen mucus( sputum), and if necessary antibiotics and bronchodilator based expectorants as per doctors prescription based on examination and weight of child .

However I assume your child is having allergic cough if she is on montair Plus kid and asthalin pump. So yes you can give either Allegra or levocet in prescribed doses if any infection has been safely ruled out by your doctor .
In case she hasn't been to a doctor it's best to consult one if her symptoms are not relieved after 2 days of starting the medication .Since there might be a need for antibiotics or expectorants then .
So keep a watch on her symptoms and if there is any fever, wheezing , sputum etc consult a pediatrician for examination and management.
As of now you can give a trial of any of the above mentioned medicines as per prescribed doses.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.